Pleasant Hill Cemetery, located in western Omaha, Nebraska on the east side of 132nd Street between Pacific and Dodge Streets, has roots dating to 1863, when seven month old Phebe Allen died and was buried on the land of her parents, Elijah S. and Lydia L. Allen. The Allens buried another child in 1867, and three in early 1879. At that time the Allens designated the original one acre site as a public cemetery. Over the years other burials continued to take place there.
In 1893, an additional four acres was dedicated to the Cemetery. In 1914, the Allens sold the Cemetery to the Pleasant Hill Cemetery Association, for $475. The Association officially incorporated on March 1st, 1915. The original incorporators were Hans Hansen, John Bull, William Glandt, Henry von Dohren, and Ben Schomer. The original trustees were Hans Hansen, Robert Blum, John Stolley, George Rohwer, and Henry von Dohren. The nature of the organization was "The purchase of Cemetery grounds and the maintenance of the same, the sale of lots, making and upkeep of improvements." One thousand dollars of capital stock was authorized; $500 was paid up at the time of incorporation. The Association was reincorporated on October 19, 1991, by Herman Rohwer, Arnold Rix, William Stolley, William Nelson, and William von Dohren.
Generally trustees have served in an unpaid capacity, although at times in the 1930's they received $2.50 each per year. Many directors have served for decades. At the beginning, lots (8 grave sites) sold for $25, except along 132nd Street, where they were $35. Prices have increased steadily over the years.
Paying for perpetual care was a problem wrestled with over the years. In 1944, as assessment of $2 per lot per year was set. It proved impossible to enforce and was abandoned. Eventually, it was determined that the only way to ensure perpetual care for the cemetery was by building up investments that could provide income toward upkeep. At one time, there was an outhouse, a tool shed, and access to water on cemetery grounds. The roadway was originally cinders, later gravel, then crushed rock, and finally (in 2000) asphalt.
Today the Cemetery remains dedicated to its original goal: to maintain the cemetery in memory of the loved ones who have passed before us.